Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Worst Job Interview Ever

I wrote about this experience a few years ago on my other blog/site and I have no idea how I lost it. In this post, I tried to recall what happened but I didn't mention the name of the company anymore because, the last time I mentioned it, a former officemate almost took a swing at me.



Are you wondering why he did that? Well, I found out that he was employed by this particular company and he didn't like what I wrote about them.

The clincher about this particular job interview was, I never applied for the position. I was at home, checking my e-mail when I got a message from someone in this company's Hongkong office asking me if I was interested in the position of Web/Graphics Designer. Of course I was interested.

A few days later, I received a phone call from the company's Philippine office and I was scheduled for an interview. Excited, I went to the company's office in Ortigas even though I only had transportation money with me.

At the office, I was handed an application form. I was somewhat surprised because I was not a walk-in applicant. I just assumed it was standard operating procedure.

In any case, I filled up the application form, sent it back and waited. If I remembered correctly, my interview was scheduled at noon but it happened late in the afternoon.

I was pointed to the interview room where I waited for the interviewer who was a man whose name I can no longer remember. He went through my resume and after a few minutes he started belittling me. He compared me against those who graduated from prestigious schools like La Salle, Ateneo, UP, UST, etc.

He went on and on about how underqualified I was and how I didn't even prepare samples for him to look at. When I mentioned that I brought CD's containing samples of my work. His response was, he had no time to look at them. Seriously!

I didn't want to come off rude and disrespectful so I just sat there and listened to what the man had to say. For someone who didn't even bother to look at my work because he had no time for it, he said nothing positive and just went on with his incessant rambling about these applicants from these so called prestigious schools.

I didn't applied for the position. I was asked if I was interested in it and yet I was humiliated and disrespected by this so called international company. Fortunately, I was able to stay calmed enough not to punch the man.

I went home that day pissed and out of money. I told my wife what happened and she was appalled. She told me to contact the person who e-mailed me and put me up for the interview but I decided not to. I just want to forget about it and move on.

A week later, the same company called me again for another interview. I asked the lady at the other end if what they're doing was a joke because if it was then it was not funny. I told her that I already went there for an interview and that I was humiliated, disrespected and, in some way, verbally abused by the interviewer.

She asked if I was still willing to undergo another interview but, after the humiliation that I got from their company, I said NO and hanged-up the phone.

That was my worst job interview ever and I'll never forget it as long as I live. As for the company, I don't know if it's still operating. I tried to search for it online but I could no longer find any updated news or information about it.

What about you? Have you experienced something that you can consider as your worst job interview ever?

5 comments:

  1. Indeed, there are things we will never forget for a very long time. I also would have to concur that the interviewer was very unprofessional. If he thought you were underqualified, he didn't have the right to insult you. The least he could have done was thank you for bothering to bring CD samples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's probably one of the reason why there is an opening in that Company because of the rude interviewer. I rarely have bad interviews because I go through headhunters first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haba ng pasensya mo bro. kung ako yan dunno what to do! :) They are abusive! at nakaka discriminate ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to know about this bad experience you had. If I were I should be assertive. I would tell the real situation. Imagine you'd been humiliated a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The actuation of the interviewer was very much uncalled for considering that you did not even apply for the position and were not bragging about your accomplishments. The fact that they called you after that interview just shows you had something solid to offer which the person who emailed you spotted from the very beginning. Well, that's their loss.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...