Saturday, November 3, 2012

Free VPN, How To Connect With VPNBook.com

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and, before I continue, I want everyone who'll read this that I'm not an expert in VPN but I do use it, often. I use VPN because it allows me to access websites that are not accessible from my location.

For example, some websites like HULU blocks access from countries outside the United States of America. Now, why do I want to access HULU? The answer is simple and that's to watch television shows for FREE. By connecting to a VPN server in the US, the website will think that I'm from the US as well thus giving me access to hundreds of television shows.

Obviously, VPN is not only for bypassing country restrictions. It can also help me protect my online privacy by hiding my real identity online as well as the privacy and identities of all those who use it.

As you can see, a VPN is a very handy thing to use and the great thing about it is, some of them are FREE. An example of a free VPN provider is VPNBook.com and below is how I setup a connection to it in Windows 7.
  1. I clicked on the Start button and in the search field I searched for Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection.
  2. In the Create a VPN connection window I entered euro1.vpnbook.com in the Internet address form field, entered any Destination name and clicked on the Next button.
  3. In the next window, I entered pptp as the User name, 9jHbfKiN as the Password and clicked on the Connect button to connect to the VPNBrook.com's server.


There is also a method for connecting to VPNBook.com's VPN server using the OpenVPN client but I didn't use it because I kinda prefer connecting using the PPTP (point to point tunneling) method. I find the PPTP method easier and faster to use but if you like to use the OpenVPN method then you can always do so. You'll find the instructions on how to connect to VPNBook.com's VPN server with OpenVPN in the official website.

So, if a website is blocking you from accessing it because of your location or country then try connecting to it through a VPN like VPNBook.com. Check it out today.

1 comment:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...