Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My SmartBRO Canopy Got Hacked

Last week, my internet connection suddenly went haywire. It was timing out like a madman and because of that my internet connection was very rocky. This made downloading and uploading files bigger than 1 MB impossible.

My SmartBRO connection was timing out like a madman.

When this happened, I was receiving new images to work on from my employer in Australia. I needed to process and return the processed or edited images back the next day but, because of my rocky internet connection, I failed to do my job.

Fortunately, my employer or at least the person who was working with me understood my problem but, for that week, I wasn't given anymore images to work on because of my internet connection problem.

I called Smart's Customer Service Hotline and reported my problem. The customer service representative or CSR said my canopy was misaligned and that was causing the rocky or intermittent internet connection. I was given a service request number and was asked to wait 24 hours.

Unfortunately, my internet connection didn't get better. After calling them back a few more times, a CSR scheduled me for a visit from their technician but I'll have to wait the day after the next because they don't have any technicians close to my area.

A few hours later, my internet connection suddenly went dead. It was totally out and there was nothing I can do about. When I called to report it, I was simply told to wait because technicians were already scheduled to come.

My SmartBRO connection suddenly went dead!

 Two days later, SmartBRO's contracted technicians arrived at my place. They tested my internet connection and even brought down my canopy. When I asked them what happened, they told me that my canopy was hacked.

I also learned from them that it was very, very common with SmartBRO canopy subscribers here in San Pablo City.

I asked them how it was possible, they told me that those who are doing the hacking were previous SmartBRO contracted technicians. They even said that one of these hackers is in our neighborhood but they didn't tell me who.

This particular experience made me think about ditching SmartBRO because I was no longer comfortable using their service. If my canopy was hacked once then what will prevent it from getting hacked again?

According to the technicians, putting a password will prevent my canopy from illegal access or remote access but, as far as I know, my canopy was already password protected.

After the technician's left, my internet connection was working again. I was again able to download images from my employer but it was still not perfect because my connection was still timing out regularly. The only difference than before was, it wasn't terrible enough to drastically affect my internet usage.

Anyway, the thought of getting hacked again still looms inside my head and the only real solution that I can think of is to just abandon my SmartBRO connection.

Now, the problem with my SmartBRO subscription is that I'm locked in a 24 months contract and I still have 11 months left. Unfortunately, after getting my canopy hacked by hackers, I'm no longer happy nor comfortable with their service.

I've been a SmartBRO subscriber for more than 3 years and I've had good and bad experiences with them but this canopy hacking problem is very hard to overlook specially now that it happened to me.

By the way, I googled "smartbro canopy hacking" and there are websites and forums that are teaching people how to do it.

Google search for smartbro canopy hacking.

If you are a SmartBRO canopy subscriber, will you feel comfortable knowing that your account or your canopy can be hacked by hackers and used by someone else? Seriously, SmartBRO should find a way to prevent people from hacking their paying subscribers canopy.

3 comments:

  1. I had given up on smartbro! I had been with them for almost 4 years but after this month I'm gonna call it quits. For the half of 2012 my average ping is 255 to 300 you cannot play online games with a ping like that and I'm a gamer. I'm gonna try globe this time and as far as I know hacking isn't as rampant compared to smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still with SmartBRO. Unfortunately, it's still the better one here. T_T

      Delete
  2. The best way na gawin mo is change mac then pag nag portal ka sa smart log in mo lang SRN at Account mo, then proceed to acount reactivation. pag succesful cgurado tangal ang naka clone sau. Posible ang ESN+Mac cloning. Dapat kc sa cloner magkaiba kau ng color code para iwas conflict at request timed out, Nasabi ko to dahil dati rin ako cloner, pero ngaun legit subs ng mybro canopy. Ask the technician to update their AP.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...